LegalZoom Review: In today’s world, obtaining legal documents can be a time-consuming and expensive process. This is where LegalZoom comes in, offering a range of legal document services at a fraction of the cost of hiring an attorney. But is LegalZoom really worth the hype? In this article, we will provide a comprehensive review of LegalZoom to determine whether it lives up to its reputation. We will explore the benefits and drawbacks of using LegalZoom, compare it to other options for obtaining legal documents, and analyze customer reviews to give readers an idea of the experiences others have had. By the end of this article, you will have a better understanding of whether LegalZoom is the right choice for you.
What is LegalZoom?
LegalZoom is an online legal document service that provides a range of legal document services to individuals and small business owners. It was founded in 2001 with the aim of making legal services more affordable and accessible to everyone. LegalZoom’s services include document preparation for various legal matters, such as wills, trademarks, LLC formation, and more. LegalZoom’s platform provides a user-friendly interface that guides users through the process of creating legal documents, and also offers additional resources such as legal advice and attorney consultations. With millions of customers served, LegalZoom has become a popular choice for those seeking legal documents at a lower cost than traditional legal services.
Pros of Using LegalZoom
- Convenience: LegalZoom’s online platform is user-friendly and easy to navigate. Customers can access and complete their legal documents from the comfort of their own homes, without having to make appointments or visit a law office.
- Affordability: LegalZoom’s prices are typically much lower than what you would pay for a traditional attorney to prepare the same legal documents. This can be especially helpful for those on a tight budget or who only need a simple legal document preparation.
- Speed: LegalZoom can often prepare legal documents much faster than traditional legal services. This can be helpful if you need a document quickly, or if you don’t have the time to wait for an attorney to complete the work.
- Quality: LegalZoom has a team of experienced professionals who review each legal document to ensure that it is accurate and meets all necessary legal requirements. This can provide peace of mind for those who may be unsure about preparing their own legal documents.
- Additional Resources: In addition to document preparation, LegalZoom offers a range of other resources to help customers with their legal needs. These resources include legal advice, attorney consultations, and educational materials to help customers understand their legal options.
LegalZoom can be a convenient and cost-effective option for those seeking legal documents for personal or business use.
Cons of Using LegalZoom
- Limited Personalization: LegalZoom’s document preparation process is designed to be a one-size-fits-all solution. This means that while you may be able to customize certain aspects of your document, you may not be able to fully tailor it to your specific needs.
- Risk of Errors: Despite LegalZoom’s quality control measures, there is still a risk of errors when preparing legal documents without the guidance of an attorney. This could potentially lead to legal issues down the road if the document is not drafted correctly.
- Lack of Human Interaction: For those who prefer to work directly with an attorney, LegalZoom’s online platform may not be the best fit. While LegalZoom does offer attorney consultations, the process is primarily conducted online and may not provide the same level of personal interaction as working directly with an attorney.
- Limited Scope of Services: While LegalZoom offers a range of legal document services, there may be certain legal matters that require the assistance of an attorney. For more complex legal issues, it may be necessary to seek the guidance of a licensed attorney.
- Potential for Additional Fees: LegalZoom’s pricing structure is based on a flat fee for each document prepared. However, there may be additional fees for expedited service, revisions, or other add-ons, which could increase the overall cost of using LegalZoom.
While LegalZoom can be a useful tool for those seeking affordable and convenient legal document services, it’s important to be aware of the potential drawbacks and consider whether they outweigh the benefits in your specific situation.
How Does LegalZoom Compare to Other Options?
While LegalZoom is a popular choice for obtaining legal documents, there are other options available that may better suit your needs. Here’s how LegalZoom compares to two other options for obtaining legal documents:
- Hiring an Attorney: Hiring an attorney to prepare your legal documents can provide a more personalized and comprehensive approach to legal services. An attorney can provide guidance throughout the entire legal process and can tailor the documents to your specific needs. However, hiring an attorney can be more expensive than using LegalZoom, and may not be necessary for simpler legal matters.
- DIY Document Preparation: It’s possible to prepare legal documents yourself, without the assistance of an attorney or an online service like LegalZoom. This can be a cost-effective option for those who are comfortable navigating legal jargon and requirements. However, it’s important to ensure that the documents are prepared accurately and meet all necessary legal requirements, which can be difficult without professional guidance.
When considering your options for obtaining legal documents, it’s important to weigh the benefits and drawbacks of each option based on your specific needs and budget. While LegalZoom can be a convenient and cost-effective option for many, it’s important to consider whether it’s the best choice for your specific situation.
LegalZoom provides a convenient and cost-effective option for those seeking legal documents. Its online platform allows users to create legal documents without the need for a traditional attorney, and its prices are often lower than what you would pay for an attorney to prepare the same documents. However, it’s important to be aware of the potential drawbacks, such as the risk of errors and limited personalization options. When considering using LegalZoom, it’s important to weigh the benefits and drawbacks against other options, such as hiring an attorney or preparing the documents yourself. Overall, LegalZoom can be a useful tool for obtaining legal documents, but it’s important to carefully consider whether it’s the best option for your specific legal needs.
How trustworthy is LegalZoom?
egalZoom is a reputable company that has been in business since 1999 and has helped millions of customers with their legal needs. The company has an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau and has received positive reviews from customers on various review websites.
That being said, it’s important to keep in mind that LegalZoom is not a law firm and does not provide legal advice or representation. While the company’s document preparation services are reviewed by experienced professionals, there is still a risk of errors or omissions. It’s always a good idea to review any legal documents prepared by LegalZoom or any other service with an attorney before signing them.
LegalZoom can be a trustworthy option for obtaining legal documents, but it’s important to understand the limitations of their services and consider seeking legal advice if necessary.
Why not use LegalZoom?
While LegalZoom can be a convenient and cost-effective option for obtaining legal documents, there are some situations where it may not be the best choice. Here are some reasons why you might not want to use LegalZoom:
Complex Legal Matters: LegalZoom’s document preparation services are designed to be a one-size-fits-all solution and may not be sufficient for more complex legal matters. For example, if you’re involved in a lawsuit or need help with estate planning, it may be necessary to work with an attorney to ensure your legal needs are properly addressed.
Limited Personalization: While LegalZoom allows for some customization of its legal documents, there may be certain aspects of the document that cannot be tailored to your specific needs. If you have unique legal needs, an attorney may be better equipped to provide a personalized solution.
Risk of Errors: Despite LegalZoom’s quality control measures, there is always a risk of errors or omissions when preparing legal documents without the guidance of an attorney. This could potentially lead to legal issues down the road if the document is not drafted correctly.
Lack of Human Interaction: If you prefer to work directly with an attorney and have the benefit of their expertise and guidance throughout the legal process, LegalZoom’s online platform may not provide the level of personal interaction you’re looking for.
Ultimately, whether or not to use LegalZoom depends on your specific legal needs and preferences. It’s important to carefully consider the benefits and drawbacks of using LegalZoom compared to other options, such as hiring an attorney or preparing the documents yourself.
Does LegalZoom charge a monthly fee?
LegalZoom offers a variety of legal services and pricing options, but in general, the company does not charge a monthly fee for access to its services.
LegalZoom typically charges a one-time fee for each legal document or service you request, with prices varying depending on the specific service and complexity of the legal matter. Some services, such as its Legal Advantage Plus program, do involve a monthly fee in exchange for ongoing legal advice and support, but this is an optional program that is not required to use LegalZoom’s other services.
It’s important to carefully review the pricing and terms of any service you’re considering from LegalZoom to ensure you understand the costs involved before making a purchase.
What can I use instead of LegalZoom?
There are several alternatives to LegalZoom that you can consider depending on your specific legal needs. Here are some options:
Hire an Attorney: If you have a complex legal matter or prefer to work directly with an attorney, hiring a lawyer is a good option. An attorney can provide legal advice, represent you in court, and ensure that your legal documents are properly prepared and executed.
Rocket Lawyer: Rocket Lawyer is a legal services company that offers a variety of legal documents and services, similar to LegalZoom. It also offers a subscription service that provides ongoing access to legal advice and document review.
Nolo: Nolo is a publisher of legal books and forms that also offers a variety of legal documents and services online. Nolo’s products are written and reviewed by attorneys and are designed to be easy to use for those without legal training.
Do-it-Yourself: Depending on the legal matter, you may be able to prepare legal documents yourself using free resources available online or at your local library. However, it’s important to be cautious and ensure that you understand the legal requirements for the document you’re preparing.
The best option for you will depend on your specific legal needs and personal preferences. It’s important to carefully consider the benefits and drawbacks of each option before making a decision.
Is LegalZoom cheaper than a lawyer?
LegalZoom is often less expensive than hiring an attorney, especially for routine legal matters such as forming a business, preparing a will or filing for a trademark. LegalZoom’s pricing varies depending on the service and complexity of the legal matter, but in general, the company’s fees are lower than the hourly rates charged by most attorneys.
That being said, it’s important to consider that LegalZoom’s services are not a substitute for legal advice from an attorney. While LegalZoom can provide legal documents and basic legal guidance, it cannot offer personalized legal advice or representation in court. In some cases, it may be necessary to work with an attorney to ensure that your legal needs are properly addressed and to avoid potential legal issues down the road.
Whether LegalZoom is cheaper than hiring an attorney will depend on your specific legal needs and the complexity of your legal matter. It’s important to carefully consider the costs and benefits of each option before making a decision.
Is it easy to cancel LegalZoom?
Yes, it is generally easy to cancel LegalZoom. LegalZoom offers a cancellation policy for most of its services, which allows customers to cancel their order within a certain period of time after placing it, typically within 60 days.
To cancel LegalZoom, you can log in to your account and go to the “My Account” section. From there, you can find your order and click on the “Cancel Order” button. You will then need to follow the prompts to confirm the cancellation and provide any necessary information.
It’s important to note that some LegalZoom services, such as registered agent services, have different cancellation policies, so it’s important to carefully review the terms and conditions of your specific service before attempting to cancel.
If you have any difficulties canceling your LegalZoom service, you can contact the company’s customer service team for assistance.
Also Read: LegalZoom Living Trust Review